How To Build a Baby Gate: Easy Tips
If you have a baby or toddler around the house, you know how these little ones tend to meet every sort of accident. One moment they are playing happily, then after a few seconds, you find them crying because they hurt themselves while playing.
One of the most common causes of accidents is when babies go to a place inside the house that they are not supposed to be. Little ones love to explore and touch things, leading to them getting into every sort of accident.
Another cause of accident is the stairway where your baby or toddler can fall down and hurt himself badly.
Given this, it is important to have the proper safety mechanisms that can ensure and guarantee the safety of your baby. One important thing to have around the house are baby gates.
Baby gates are a necessary item inside the house if you have stairways and a large area where you don’t want your baby to go to. Baby gates can guarantee their safety and massively reduce accidents from happening.
If you want to install baby gates inside your home, you can have the option of building them yourself as long as you have the skill and right equipment.
This is especially helpful if you would like to place a number of baby gates around the house and would not want to spend hundreds of dollars in purchasing them.
How Do You Build a Baby Gate?
If you plan to build a baby gate to install around the house on your own, you can follow these easy steps. In no time, you can be relaxed that you baby is safe from harm and any accidents that may happen inside the house.
- Gather the needed materials and equipment:
- Measuring Tape
- 2 Strong hinges
- 1 Latch
- Wood filler
- Table saw/ saw
- After gathering the needed materials, you should start by measuring the width of your staircase or the area you are going to place your baby gate. Make sure that the piece of wood is measured smaller than the actual width of your staircase so it can swing in and out easily. Also, the height of your baby gate should be two to three times higher than your little one so he cannot easily reach the latch or climb over the gate.
- Once you get the exact measurements, you can cut your piece of wood according to the appropriate measurement. If you plan to use a whole slab of wood, you will only need to cut an inch smaller on both sides to let it swing easily.
- After cutting your wood, sand the edges thoroughly until you get a smooth surface. This will ensure that your baby won’t get hurt by splinters and small pieces of wood sticking out on the corners.
- After sanding the wood, you can paint or varnish it according to the color that you like. Make sure that the wood is completely dry before moving on to the next step. It is easier to paint or varnish the gate before installation rather than after since this will prevent paint from getting all over the place.
- Drill holes in the wood and attach the latches. Make sure that they are drilled and screwed securely so they won’t fall off after some time. After doing this, install the latch on the wood, making sure that it reaches the area where the other side of the latch is going to be placed.
- You can screw the other side of the hinge to your wall by drilling the hole and placing the screws securely. Do this for both hinges on the upper and lower parts of the wood panel.
- Attach the second piece of the latch to the wood or banister where the first piece should be able to easily latch on. Make sure that it is not too loose, so it will not unlatch itself even if your baby shakes the baby gate hardly.
By following these steps, you can easily install any number of baby gates around your house to place your little one in a safe and secure environment. Make sure that all the hinges and latches are screwed on tightly and securely since a loose screw is an invitation for accidents to happen.
If you plan to use a baby gate that has slats or spaces in between the wood instead of a single panel, make sure that you measure the frame and the wooden correctly.
Furthermore, you should also make sure that each slat is spaced not more than three inches apart from each other to prevent your little one from squeezing in between them and getting himself stuck.
No matter what type of panel you choose for your baby gate, make sure that you cut them at the right height. Ideally, baby gates should be 22 inches or longer so your baby cannot easily climb over them.
You can also use your child’s height as a reference you can cut your baby gate’s height 2 to 3 times higher than your child’s height to ensure that he cannot go over and climb above it easily.
In addition to building the right height of baby gate, make sure that you place not more than three inches of space from the floor to the bottom of the baby gate. This will ensure that your baby will not be able to crawl under it easily or get himself stuck in the process.
Again, the key to building a baby gate by yourself is taking the right measurements. Measure the height and width of your baby gate two times so you are sure that you got the right numbers.
When attaching the latches and hinges, get help in aligning the wooden panel to the wall and staircase so you can easily attach it with no problems.
So if you are planning to build baby gates on your own so you can relax knowing that your little one is safe, you can do so right away!
By following these simple steps, your baby gates will be working just fine until your baby outgrows them.